Welcome!

Blog of a Writer on the Go and Barely Here.
Here by accident?
Looking for something more 'family-friendly'? Check out my Children's & Young Adult Blog:The Wide Writing World of Emily McKeon

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dark Crystal Results Are In...

Many of you know I entered a contest being run by The Jim Henson Company together with Grosset & Dunlap to find the next author for a Dark Crystal-based YA novel. I've been biting my nails down since I hit the 'submit' button in November, hoping my entry had what it took to make the Top 5 finalists.

Late last night, those results were posted.

I did not make the Top 5.

Out of almost 500 entries, mine landed in the top 25. An Editor's Choice. So close to working with the Henson Company, a lifelong dream as you all know from my failed attempt at being a children's show host and from my letter about The Muppet Movie. A dream still out of my grasp.

There is a bright side in the fact I made it as far as I did. It means editors at Grosset & Dunlap liked my writing enough to pass it along to the next tier for review. It means my work was read by Lisa & Cheryl Henson along with Executive editors from Grosset & Dunlap.

I also received some nice comments on my work.

“Excellent writing and style. Though a deviation from the suggested route of a pre-Garthim era, the story was well drawn and captured the essence of The Dark Crystal.”

Yes, I'm wondering if my accidental deviation might have been the strike against me that kept me from advancing. The minute I hit the 'submit' button, I logged into the Author Quest forums for the first time and discovered on a thread my mistake. After all my referencing and research, I managed to have Garthim on the wrong end of my timeline.

I muttered a few words, praying it wouldn't affect my entry. My husband can attest to my frustration at my oversight. Now, I have to wonder if it held me back, as the editors did point it out. All I can say at this point is, "Arg!"

To be clear, I'm thrilled to have made it as far as I did. Yes, it's fantastically awesome and I'm excited to have the comments I do. I'll be posting my entry up on the FanFiction portion of the Dark Crystal site. To share with other fans and to read through the other entries.

Most importantly, I'll be continuing on with my other work. This road might be at an end, but there are still so many other routes for me to stroll down.

If you'd like to check out the other winners, you can find them all here.

No comments:

Post a Comment